With origins believed to date back to 1310, the oldest part of Willowbrook House is the north wing which, timber framed, is today part rendered, part brick. This wing was apparently a medieval rectory used by vicars or rented until it was sold in 1557. The main house as it stands today was extended in the 1560's with further changes during the 18th and 20th centuries. Also referred to as Wellshead Farm the south wing was a separate house for many years.
Situated in a conservation area in the heart of the village on Church Lane, Willowbrook House sits on a generous plot of just over an acre. Constructed predominantly of an oak timber frame, part brick below and a pitched clay tile roof, the
property is Grade II listed.
It retains many period features including exposed timbers, some original wattle and daub walls and inglenook fireplaces. Willowbrook House has been enjoyed and well maintained by the current owners for nearly eighteen years, who have recently complemented the existing accommodation with the addition of an oak frame orangery which is open plan from the kitchen to the rear where is overlooks the gardens.
The entrance hall, with the downstairs cloakroom, leads to the reception hall with impressive exposed timbers. The atmospheric dining room has an impressive inglenook fireplace with former bread oven. The formal drawing room is double aspect with French doors to the garden and has an open inglenook fireplace. There is a further sitting room/TV room with wood burning stove and second, rear staircase to the first floor.
Beyond this, at the south end of the house there is also a utility room with covered walkway connecting to the main garage block.
The kitchen with a two oven gas fired Aga, electric oven and hob, has bespoke pine units and is open plan to the splendid orangery which serves as informal dining and sitting area. There are two double French doors one to the terrace and the other to the garden.
On the first floor the principal bedroom is in the oldest part of the house and has large exposed feature timber beams, which are thought to be a thousand years old, fitted wardrobes and an en suite shower room. There are four further bedrooms full of character and two bathrooms on this floor.
On the second floor the spacious attic area is used by the current owners as a comfortable home office with sitting area,
but it could also be used as a play/games room or easily be turned into another one or two bedrooms. There is also the potential to create a fourth bathroom (subject to relevant consents).
With in and out double timber gates, Willowbrook House has a Cotswold stone gravel driveway and ample parking to the front of the property. There is a double open bay car port with the pool house pump room and a shower room with WC to the rear. To the south of the property, and linked to the main house via the covered walkway, is another garage block with double garage and a single open bay covered parking space. There is additional storage space in the roof of the double garage accessed by a built in sliding ladder.
A Cotswold stone wall encloses the garden to the front which is mainly laid to lawn. The outdoor swimming pool is discreetly tucked away behind a neat privet hedge offering privacy in the north east corner of the garden. A wide terrace extends to the rear of the property. The delightful gardens are established with a large willow tree providing a canopy over the smaller of the two shallow ponds fed by a natural spring. Indeed it is thought that the well' in Harwell may take its name from this natural spring/well in the garden. The larger pond has a duck island with duck house and is fed by a stream on the western boundary of the property. The water flows over a weir at the north end of the pond into a brook and away through the village.View payable Stamp Duty for this property