This beautiful Grade II listed Georgian House dates from 1776, with a Victorian rear addition, and can be glimpsed in a painting by Turner. As a particularly fine example of its period it is mentioned specifically in Pevsner. It is an elegantly proportioned house and benefits from uninterrupted views of the river. Since 1947 the house has only changed hands once.
The house was comprehensively and meticulously refurbished by the current owner in 1990/1991, taking great care to maintain and restore the many period features while at the same time adapting the accommodation to provide a logical layout and flow for modern living.
Stone steps lead up to the canopied front door. The hallway, the library and the dining room all have deep skirting boards and period fireplaces (of which there are a total of 10 throughout the house). The hallway, dining room, cloakroom and and first floor drawing room also all have the original wide floorboards. The dining room, with its decorative cornices, architraves and door
mouldings is an atmospheric room. A door links it to the kitchen which is fitted with Smallbone wall and floor units, a large central island and a built-in eating area.
A door leads through from the kitchen to the vaulted utility room and the double garage beyond in what was the old stable with its gothic arched windows. There is also the old Coach House with hay loft above. For vehicle access there is an electric shutter at the rear of the garage leading to the road behind. There is also the possibility of access via the double wooden
There is a study at the rear of the house overlooking a delightful courtyard garden. There is also a guest cloakroom on the ground floor.
A door in the hall leads down to the lower ground floor, which was probably the original kitchen and still contains an old range. There are two good sized rooms with natural light to the front aspect and a wine cellar.
The elegant drawing room is on the first floor and commands spectacular river views. Doors at the rear of this room lead to a conservatory and thence to a terrace overlooking the garden below. Double doors on the landing lead out to a river-facing balcony. The spacious master bedroom suite completes the first floor accommodation.
There is a mezzanine level to the rear of the house with a double bedroom and bathroom and the top floor has three further good-sized bedrooms, a shower room and a small kitchen.View payable Stamp Duty for this property